Please learn more about colleagues in our "Personal Touch" series setting employees in the spotlight. A light-hearted manner to learn about the colleagues you know and those you don't!.
This week: Machteld Oud
1. Name & Nationality
Machteld Oud, Dutch.
2. When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?
Professional sports athlete.
3. What was your previous academic training, where did you study?
I studied life sciences at the HAN University and started my career as a research technician at the Tumor Immunology lab (RIMLS). After four years I moved to the department of human genetics and became a PhD student.
4. What is your current function and what would you like to achieve?
I am a PhD student within the Kouncil consortium. A kidney oriented project where we try to gain more knowledge about ciliopathies, especially nephronophthisis and related disorders.
5. The RIMLS motto is 'to understand molecular mechanisms of disease'. What does this mean for you?
Like I said before, I would like to understand the disease mechanism of nephronophthisis and related ciliopathies. There is no treatment available for these patients besides dialysis or transplantation and that is just not good enough. We need to understand the underlying mechanisms of these ciliopathies in order to start thinking about a possible therapy.
6. What is the biggest motivation in your work?
I really like to study and then solve the puzzle! Trying to understand the mechanism of disease is one big puzzle that hopefully one day will be solved. The idea of helping young patients and their parents by unraveling the mysteries of their disease feels good.
7. What is your dream for the future?
I would love to solve a big piece of the puzzle and thereby continue to help patients. Besides that I would love to play another world championship floorball!
8. Fun-facts. State an interesting/obscure fact about yourself together with two that are false? Correct answer will be revealed to readers in the subsequent edition.
A: I competed in an all men’s ice hockey team.
B: My two-year old son helps me culture my cells.
C: My car got damaged by a charging elephant in Kruger park, South Africa.
Correct answer will be revealed to readers in the subsequent edition.
Correct answer of Kioa Wijnsma : B
A: My given name is based on an African goddess
B:I am also named after a time of the year, but I am a little ashamed of that. Therefore I never mention it.
C: Because I love cooking, I want to try all kinds of food, therefore I ate a fried spider ones..
State an interesting/obscure fact about yourself together with two that are false.
<< back to overview news items