Please learn more about colleagues in our "Personal Touch" series setting employees in the spotlight. A light-hearted manner to learn about the colleagues you know and those you don't!.
This week: Mani Diba
1. Name & Nationality
Mani Diba, Iranian, theme Reconstructive and regenerative medicine.
2. When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?
A heart or brain surgeon to find out what is going on in the people’s heart and brain! I was also considering becoming a diver
3. What was your previous academic training, where did you study?
I did my B.Sc. in materials engineering at Isfahan University of Technology (Iran). Thereafter, I studied a M.Sc. in advanced materials and processes at University of Erlangen-Nuremberg (Germany) and partly at Imperial College London (UK).
4. What is your current function and what would you like to achieve?
As a PhD student, I study self-healing of materials which is a new concept in materials science. My aim is to explore and improve self-healing ability of colloidal soft materials (hydrogels), mainly those formed based on self-assembly of nanoparticles.
5. The RIMLS motto is 'to understand molecular mechanisms of disease'. What does this mean for you?
Understanding the molecular mechanisms of diseases can help us to design materials with enhanced biological function. For instance, a better understanding of osteoporosis can enable us to develop better materials for bone tissue regeneration in osteoporotic conditions.
6. What is the biggest motivation in your work?
My work enables me to asses my imaginations and bring them to reality. This is my daily motive in my work and for doing science.
7. What is your dream for the future?
Global understanding and awareness. A knowledge-based world rather than a world based on preconceptions and biases.
8. Fun-facts. State an interesting/obscure fact about yourself together with two that are false? Correct answer will be revealed to readers in the subsequent edition.
A: I used to play a Persian musical instrument for more than 10 years.
B: I usually drink a beer with my lunch.
C: I am the nephew of the former Queen of Persia.
Correct answer will be revealed to readers in the subsequent edition.
Correct answer of Machteld Oud: A
A: I competed in an all men’s ice hockey team.
B: My two-year old son helps me culture my cells.
C: My car got damaged by a charging elephant in Kruger park, South Africa.
State an interesting/obscure fact about yourself together with two that are false.
<< back to overview news items