Please learn more about colleagues in our "Personal Touch" series setting employees in the spotlight. A light-hearted manner to learn about the colleagues you know and those you don't!.
This week: Edyta Swider
2. When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up? Can you tell us something about your childhood years?
As a kid I had many ideas whom I want to become when I grow up. All of those ideas had one thing in common: I wanted to help people. As the oldest child I had to take care of my siblings and I think the need to take care of others comes from that experience. I also developed the love for baking during my child years, while spending time in the kitchen together with my mum ;)
3. What was your previous academic training, where did you study and why did you choose that study/those studies?
I’ve always wanted to learn more about humans, either from biological or psychological perspective. Thus, I decided to study biology at the Jagiellonian University in Cracow. Next, I came to Nijmegen to do master program in Medical Biology at Radboud University, during which I did two internships of 6 and 9 months.
4. The RIMLS motto is ‘to understand molecular mechanisms of disease’. What does this mean for you?
Being able to discover and understand the development of diseases at the molecular level can help with the improvement of current medicines. It also brings us closer to more personalized treatment of patients.
5. Which international scientist inspires/inspired you the most? Please give a motivation why.
I need to go with Maria Skłodowska-Curie. She was a great, hard-working scientists, moving abroad to pursue her studies and career, and winning two Nobel prizes in times when women had it harder in the scientific world.
6. Which research discovery that you have made has made you most proud?
I have not discovered anything big yet, but the best is yet to come :-)
7. Given unlimited finance what experiment would you perform?
Before I would go for big experiments, I would first buy the equipment, which will allow me to efficiently run those tests. My group is working on nanoparticles for multimodal imaging, thus, with unlimited source of money, I would create a place where we would have all the equipment for full characterization of those nanoparticles.
8. What does your working area (desk, office) look like and what does it say about you (or your research)?
I try to keep things organized, so my desk looks rather clean. I am definitely a person who likes when things are well planned and in order, thus I plan my work week on Friday before.
9. Nominate a colleague to be in the spotlight and what would you like to ask him or her?
Oya Tagit. She is a new colleague in our lab and I would like to ask her how she likes our crazy utje. :-)
10. What type of person are you, quick insights:
a) Mac or PC?:
b) Theater or cinema?:
c) Dine out or dine in?:
d) Ferrari or Fiat?:
e) Shopaholic or chocoholic?:
f) Culture or Nature:
<< back to overview news items