Please learn more about colleagues in our "Personal Touch" series setting employees in the spotlight. A light-hearted manner to learn about the colleagues you know and those you don't!.
This week: Tom van Oorschot
1. Name, nationality, current function & department?
Tom van Oorschot, Dutchie, Technician in the Dept. Of Tumor Immunology (TIL), theme Cancer development and immune defense
2. When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up? Can you tell us something about your childhood years?
When I was a kid I wanted to become a sport teacher. I grew up in a small town in Brabant with my parents and 2 brothers. After school I spend the most time on doing sport like soccer, tennis, running and cycling.
3. What was your previous academic training, where did you study and why did you choose that study/those studies?
After secondary school I had no idea what I wanted to do.. Since I liked the beta classes the most I went to Oss for a laboratory study (MLO). After that I wanted to develop myself more and decided to continue for the bachelor ‘Biology and medical laboratory research’ at the HAN in Nijmegen.
4. The RIMLS motto is ‘to understand molecular mechanisms of disease’. What does this mean for you?
At our department we translate our new findings at dendritic cell subsets into the clinic. To improve our DC-immunotherapy it is important ‘to understand molecular mechanisms of disease’
5. Which international scientist inspires/inspired you the most? Please give a motivation why.
I dont have a great example. Enthousiasm and curiosity of scientist inspire me the most.
6. Which research discovery that you have made has made you most proud?
Not really a discovery, but I am proud that our DC vaccination therapy will be included in the dutch health insurance.
7. Given unlimited finance what experiment would you perform?
I would invest the money into the improvement of immunotherapy. (no specific experiment yet)
8. What does your working area (desk, office) look like and what does it say about you (or your research)?
I have a lot of small post-its around my working area. Some with phone numbers others with longer term ‘things to do’ and every day a ‘what to do today’ post-it.
9. Nominate a colleague to be in the spotlight and what would you like to ask him or her?
Martin Jaeger, Can you tell us a joke?
10. You are nominated by Till Mathan. What is your answer to this question?
I would like to nominate Tom van Oorschot, because I would like to ask him: “Was hast du auf deinem Bemmchen?”
Käse und hägelslage!
10. What type of person are you, quick insights:
a) Mac or PC?:
b) Theater or cinema?:
c) Dine out or dine in?:
d) Ferrari or Fiat?:
e) Shopaholic or chocoholic?:
f) Culture or Nature:
<< back to overview news items